About Chemistry Department
The Department of Chemistry was started in our institution in the academic year 1957-58 by offering B.Sc. Degree programmes. It has emerged as postgraduate department by introducing five years Integrated M.Sc.(Hons.) in Chemistry course in the year 2004. In the academic year 2007-08, M.Sc., in Organic Chemistry programme was started, it was then changed to M.Sc., in Chemistry in the year 2009. Subsequently, M.Sc., in Industrial Chemistry was also established in the academic year 2009-10 due to the great demand from the student aspirants.
The department has fully fledged and well equipped three laboratories for each course. The department encompasses well qualified dedicated teaching staffs who have the urge the students to acquire good knowledge. Faculties are engaged in research on cutting edge issues like synthetic/catalytic/biological relevance and are merited with high quality publications from reputed publishers. Several minor/ major research projects are funded by UGC, VGST, etc. to the faculty. The department is offering Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) with Continuous Assessment Grading Pattern (CAGP) wherein the students will be undergoing a continuous process of learning, assessment and evaluation which facilitates the students not only to abreast the knowledge but also to study some non-chemistry subjects also of their choice. There is Institution-Industry collaboration and also few MoUs with other institutions which facilitates the students to take-up the project work which in-turn forms a platform for the placement and also for the research. In addition to academic activities, the department organizes Conference/ Seminar/ Workshop/ Special Lecture, etc. for the benefit of the students. The department as a whole is working for the betterment of the students in particular and society in general.
To explore chemistry concepts in response to challenges and problems faced by sciences, society and industry.
To awaken young minds of chemists to discover their talents both in theory and practical through dedication to teaching, commitment to students and innovative instructional methods.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry
- B.Sc. in Industrial Chemistry
- B.Sc.(Hons) in Chemistry
- M.Sc.(Hons) in Chemistry
- M.Sc. in Chemistry
- M.Sc. in Industrial Chemistry
- Ph.D. in Chemistry/Industrial Chemistry
At the end of the programme, the students will be able to:
- Acquire knowledge, abilities and insight in well-defined area of research within Chemistry /Industrial Chemistry.
- Adopt the skills and knowledge required to the professional life and to qualify for training as scientific researcher.
- To get good scientific communication skills for differently specialized and non-specialized audiences.
- Develop knowledge of scientific theories and methods, gain experience in working independently with scientific questions and clearly express opinion on academic issues.
- Acquire the skills of planning and conducting advanced experiments by applying suitable simple and sophisticated analytical techniques.
- Examine specific phenomena theoretically and/or experimentally, contribute to the generation of new scientific insights or to the innovation of new applications of research in Chemistry.
Programme Specific Outcome (PSOs)
After completion of this programme the candidate will be
- Able to take up Global level research opportunities to pursue Ph.D. programme and the student will be more resourceful and will have targeted approach to qualify CSIR – NET/SLET and other competitive examinations.
- With the knowledge of chemistry, one can reach the positions by employment in chemical, pharmaceutical, food and material industries.
- M.Sc. Chemistry/Industrial Chemistry/M.Sc.(Hons) student after passing out of this programme will reach a level to think about the scientific situations existing around him/her.
- After passing this programme, the student will be having the capability to think and teach aspects of chemistry to the different levels of students in a futuristic manner.